The Residential Care Services (RCS) Stars awards recognise individual and team excellence at care homes nationwide across Care UK’s RCS division.
A total of 22 awards were handed out during the ceremony, with Clara Court beating off stiff competition and taking the highly coveted Home of the Year award. The team at Clara Court were nominated for the award due to their outstanding performance across all areas of resident care.
The panel of judges found that the team at Clara Court has consistently delivered quality care and worked tirelessly to improve resident wellbeing.
Debbie Winwood, home manager at Clara Court, said: “It was a truly inspirational evening and brilliant to hear about the compassion and dedication of team members, as well as the positive impact this has had on residents, which enables them to live fulfilling lives.
“We were thrilled to have won Home of the Year in Care UK’s national RCS Stars awards. Clara Court is not just a care home, it is a family home. I am so proud of the dedicated and compassionate team, who thoroughly enjoy coming to work to promote the independence of the residents.”
Marie Reeve, home manager at Mills Meadow in Framlingham, was presented with the Customer Service Excellence award. The panel of judges praised the home for having the highest score in the relative customer satisfaction survey of all Care UK homes; a result which is driven by the determination and commitment of the team.
The awards ceremony also saw the team at Broadwater Lodge care home in Godalming celebrating after it won the award for Great Dementia Care. The home was recognised for its continuous innovations to stimulate those living with dementia, including a pub, 1940s style kitchen, pets corner, and beach area complete with themed hut, novelty photo booth and Punch and Judy stand.
Broadwater Lodge was a double winner at the ceremony and received a standing ovation from the audience as Angela Bookham and the team received the award for Outstanding CQC Rating.
Graham Clark at Heavers Court care home in Croydon scooped the Care UK Angel award, with the judges highlighting his wonderful rapport with residents and how he always goes the extra mile to make sure every day is fun, happy and comfortable for all.
Whether it’s finding innovative ways to communicate with non-English speaking residents or telling jokes to get people laughing, everyone was in agreement that he is a worthy winner of the award.
Priors House care home in Leamington Spa is also celebrating after the team won the Meaningful Lifestyles Award. The home was nominated for the RCS Stars award for the team’s continual hard work to create new ways to engage residents, and to provide first class entertainment.
The panel of judges found that the Care UK team at Priors House listens to the life stories of the residents, and tailors activities to suit individual needs. In doing this they enable residents to be as independent as possible and continue to do the things they have always enjoyed doing.
In total, 22 awards were presented throughout the evening, including:
- Maintenance Person of the Year – John Evans, Woodside
- Administrator of the Year – Ma Rizza Luna, Franklin House
- Exceptional Housekeeping – Manor Lodge
- Support Team of the Year – The Hub
- Care UK Angel of the Year – Graham Clark, Heavers Court
- Apprentice of the Year – Charlotte King, Cleves Place
- Team Leader of the Year – Sharon Dawkins, Heather View
- Best Dining Experience – The Terrace
- Chef of the Year – Anna Chwalek, Wellmeadow Lodge
- Sales and Marketing Award – Appleby House
- Customer Relations Manager of the Year – Angela Hodge, Hartismere Place
- Customer Service Excellence – Mills Meadow
- Meaningful Lifestyles Award – Priors House
- Great Dementia Care Award – Broadwater Lodge
- Nurse of the Year – Carla Alao, Farm Lane
- Deputy Manager of the Year – Tracy Norbury, Hollins Park
- Outstanding Leadership – Francine Summers, Priors House
- Home of the Year – Clara Court
- Most Improved Home – Mowat Court
- Most Improved Region – Midlands
- Region of the Year – North East
- Outstanding CQC Rating – Broadwater Lodge