Birds love fat cakes, and making your own is a cheap and fun alternative to buying them.
You can use up kitchen scraps, such as bacon rind, cake crumbs, bread, sultanas, currants, apples and pears. The best ratio is one part fat to two parts dry mixture.
You will need:
- Mixing bowl
- Clean yogurt pots/plastic cups or flower pots
- Wild bird seed
- Kitchen scraps (optional)
- Mix all the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl
- Melt the lard slightly ensuring it is not hot, then add it to the dry ingredients and mix well
- Make a small hole in the bottom of the pots and thread a length of string through
- Pack the pot with the mixture
- Leave overnight for the lard to set
- When set, remove the pot - or if it’s an attractive item such as a tea cup - just put it out as a garden feature
- Hang the cakes from a tree, shrub or bird feeder by the string